Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello all - introducing myself
I am a biker from South Africa, and FWIW, I am blind from a major bike accident I had in November 2005, when someone in a car swerved into me and my wife on our BMw R1100GS, and I ended up in a coma for around 3--4 weeks, and I only really knew where I was, and that I couldn't see around 3 months later.
I got out of the hospital in March 2006, and I have done all sorts of 'training' to sort of make it possible to live at my own home, with a friend living with me, and I am back at work as a web developer for around the last month or so, and I must say, technology is amazing in relation to what I was expecting when I first realised I was now blind.

One more thing - inspired by a guy from the UK, called Billy Baxter, who's in the Guiness Book of Records for doing 180mph on a bike even though he's also blind - I have already ridden my other bike, a bandit 1200 streetfighter, up and down the main straight of Phakisa racetrack with a radio headset, so my friend could instruct me when to veer left, right, and when to stop. If you want to see photos, go to my bike club's website (http://www.hellrazors.co.za), look for the link to the 'gallery' on the left-hand side of the main page, and look for a gallery specific to 'phakisa' or 'razor rash', and you'll see me getting ready to ride, and I think there's also a photo of me actually going down the track.

Anyway, this is my first post, but I'll be back...

Cheers

Jacob
Blind Biker

Messages In This Thread
Hello all - introducing myself - by banditza - 20/05, 03:31 PM