Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi everyone newbee here
Hi everyone

Been going to the head injury clinic in Aylesbury for a while now and only just noticed a poster for this site. What a great idea and so pleased to be in contact with people who have been through the same kind of thing.

Well this my story, probably similar to a few others.

Going to work on the 20th Dec 2006, riding my Pan European it was foggy but not so bad as not to be able to ride, about 2 mins from work I see a set of head lights coming towards me, then when I was about 10mtrs away another set appeared next to them, another car was bloody overtaking!!! I was doing 35 and he was doing about 45.
At the last moment I lent the bike two the left trying to avoid a full head on smack.
This resulted in:- broken / disclocated ankle, completely smashed lower leg, fractured upper leg, fractured hip, fractured wrist, comletely smashed lower arm, fractured / disclocated elbow, radial nerve damadge, internal bleeding and a head injury.
Came round on the 10th Jan 2007, Merry Xmas!
Spent 5 mnths in hospital, 7 mnths in plaster. Been left with permanent disablement in my right arm and right leg plus the memory loss. This is so frustrating, lost some long term memory and short term is very hit and miss. Need to write everything down.
For the last 8 mnths I have been in a battle with the DWP trying to get DLP and Mobility, I keep this for another day.

Look forward to chatting with you all

cheers Gary
Hello Gary - cheers for popping by and saying Yo mate, great to hear from you.

Head injury place in Aylesbury eh? I went there for quite some time too after my bash - great place to be able to sit and chat about stuff and they're cool with helping deal with the head flipping out bits that happen aren't they?

Sounds like you had one massive accident there mate and boy, lucky to come out the other side of it. Really sounds like not much was left undamaged. Know what you mean about the head injury effects being a real frustrating pain - I too now almost totally rely on making sure I write absolutely everything that's important down as soon as I hear it. Guess you just start to stop relying on your memory after it lets you down properly too many times eh. Short term is naff for me too.

Anyways, as I say, great to hear from you and cheers for stopping by mate. Take it easy and speak soon Smile
Hi Gary, Not sure if I'm doing this right, but just trying to say I wish you well in your recovery. I joined today after reading about the site in the MAG mag,,
I had an accident last year but only damaged my leg and my Hornet.
I've only been riding less than 5 years so it was my first major spill. Not fun though hey?

Take care,

Helen

madkoka Wrote:Hi everyone

Been going to the head injury clinic in Aylesbury for a while now and only just noticed a poster for this site. What a great idea and so pleased to be in contact with people who have been through the same kind of thing.

Going to work on the 20th Dec 2006, riding my Pan European it was foggy but not so bad as not to be able to ride, about 2 mins from work I see a set of head lights coming towards me, then when I was about 10mtrs away another set appeared next to them, another car was bloody overtaking!!! I was doing 35 and he was doing about 45.
At the last moment I lent the bike two the left trying to avoid a full head on smack.
This resulted in:- broken / disclocated ankle, completely smashed lower leg, fractured upper leg, fractured hip, fractured wrist, comletely smashed lower arm, fractured / disclocated elbow, radial nerve damadge, internal bleeding and a head injury.
Spent 5 mnths in hospital, 7 mnths in plaster. Been left with permanent disablement in my right arm and right leg plus the memory loss. This is so frustrating, lost some long term memory and short term is very hit and miss. Need to write everything down.
For the last 8 mnths I have been in a battle with the DWP trying to get DLP and Mobility, I keep this for another day.

cheers Gary
Hi Helen

Nice to here from you, hope have recovered ok and the bikes fixed.
Has the spill affected how you ride?

Gary

Helen Wrote:Hi Gary, Not sure if I'm doing this right, but just trying to say I wish you well in your recovery. I joined today after reading about the site in the MAG mag,,
I've only been riding less than 5 years so it was my first major spill. Not fun though hey?

Take care,

Helen

cheers Gary
hi Gary,
Yes I'm recovering well thanks. I limp a little sometimes. My leg is quite numb in places, and painful in others. I stopped myself with my knee against an upright post at 55mph! so my knee took the impact, then my new Caberg lid hit the next post and the hornet's tank the third. I wrote the bike off and now have a Yamaha xj600s (Diversion) which is very old but quite nice. My leg was in a splint for 9 weeks and I was off work for just 3 months, but I'm not too bad now. I got off lightly and was lucky in that I was riding in Sweden at the time and they are the best orthhopedic surgeons in the world. Even my consultant at Heatherwood said that!
As for riding .. well I don't think it has affected the way I ride. I wasn't very experienced before and the accident was a lack of concentration on my part so It was not so much a riding error, if you see what I mean. It was 4 months before I got back on the bike and Ive done a few hundred miles so far so I'm improving. Getting more relaxed on the bike which is good. I owe an awful lot to the wonderful physio I had, from the British Olympic Rowing team's physio in Reading and I would defo recommend her.

Are you back riding again now? Are you better?

Helen
Helen Wrote:hi Gary,
Yes I'm recovering well thanks. I limp a little sometimes. My leg is quite numb in places, and painful in others. I stopped myself with my knee against an upright post at 55mph! so my knee took the impact, then my new Caberg lid hit the next post and the hornet's tank the third. I wrote the bike off and now have a Yamaha xj600s (Diversion) which is very old but quite nice. My leg was in a splint for 9 weeks and I was off work for just 3 months, but I'm not too bad now. I got off lightly and was lucky in that I was riding in Sweden at the time and they are the best orthhopedic surgeons in the world. Even my consultant at Heatherwood said that!
As for riding .. well I don't think it has affected the way I ride. I wasn't very experienced before and the accident was a lack of concentration on my part so It was not so much a riding error, if you see what I mean. It was 4 months before I got back on the bike and Ive done a few hundred miles so far so I'm improving. Getting more relaxed on the bike which is good. I owe an awful lot to the wonderful physio I had, from the British Olympic Rowing team's physio in Reading and I would defo recommend her.

Helen

Hi Helen

Getting better has been a slow process for me. I have had six ops so far and might still need one more on my leg. One the third op died on the op table.
I have been left disabled in my right arm and right leg,so I very much doubt if I will ever be able to ride again, which is unfortunate as I used to teach people to ride bikes.
The bike I was riding, Pan European was a total write off, but I do still have a 53 plate Kawasaki Z1000 in orange in the garage which I have had from new.
For some strange reason cant bring myself to sell it just yet.

take care

Gary
madkoka Wrote:Hi Helen

Nice to here from you, hope have recovered ok and the bikes fixed.
Has the spill affected how you ride?

Gary

Helen Wrote:Hi Gary, Not sure if I'm doing this right, but just trying to say I wish you well in your recovery. I joined today after reading about the site in the MAG mag,,

Take care,

Helen

cheers Gary

madkoka Wrote:
Helen Wrote:hi Gary,

Helen

Hi Helen

Getting better has been a slow process for me. I have had six ops so far and might still need one more on my leg. One the third op died on the op table.
I have been left disabled in my right arm and right leg,so I very much doubt if I will ever be able to ride again, which is unfortunate as I used to teach people to ride bikes.
The bike I was riding, Pan European was a total write off, but I do still have a 53 plate Kawasaki Z1000 in orange in the garage which I have had from new.
For some strange reason cant bring myself to sell it just yet.

take care

Gary

So sorry to hear that you were so badly injured Gary, but I can understand why you are reluctant to sell the Kwak. Have you ever thought about joining NABD to see if there is anything they can offer any ideas in terms of another bike/trike maybe?

By the way, do you get the impression there is only you and me here? lol Nobody else seems to be around/posting etc
It's a shame really cos I'm sure there must be plenty of people who would enjoy talking to others in similar situations.

Take care,
Helen
Hi Helen

I think it might be a case of ability to ride again, not the desire. As for the site I think people should get chatting more, about anything.

see ya

Gary
I agree, the love of it becomes a little tainted by the accident and what can possibly happen because of it, but the desire never goes. You just end up missing the ability to ride with any kind of safety - although it's legally still possible, it really makes you start asking questions. Think that's one of the reasons I setup this site originally was to get people together who felt about it in this way to be able to chat and share feelings. Still quite early days in terms of members though which is why there isn't much "chatting" going on yet but hey - one day hopefully.